Friday, January 29, 2010

First Day at Bara

This morning Adrienne picked me up on her way to Bara (Chris Baragwanath Hospital) in Soweto. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Bara is the largest hospital in the Southern Hemisphere and most likely the entire world! With over 2,964 beds and roughly 120 admissions per day, I can see why. I can't wait to go on rounds in the hospital!

The project that I came here to work on will most likely start in March. In the meantime, still not sure what they are going to have me do until then. It seems like there is no shortage of projects to work on at PHRU (Perinatal HIV Research Unit) here at Bara. Spent most the day helping Caroline, one of the Hopkins students, with her project and introducing myself to some of the study personnel that I will be working with over the next two months.

2 comments:

  1. Sam! sounds awesome! glad youre having a good time. 120 admissions a day? holy moly. i cant even imagine how long rounds would be! Thanks for posting!!xoxo Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam! We want updates! hugs from here, Aditi

    ReplyDelete